My Mum's a Nurse

2nd July 2016

In February 2016, my Mum, Lindsay Lucas, spent two weeks on the Greek Island of Lesvos; donating her time, money, and nursing skills to assist the Syrian Refugees making deadly journeys across the Aegean Sea to the EU in hope of finding a better life. I thought her experience should be shared; so, I asked her some questions, she very kindly answered, and here you have them!


How long have you been nursing?

“I’ve worked in the operating theatres as an anaesthetic/post anaesthetic care nurse for most of my nursing life. Apart from general nursing I have trained as a midwife. Since leaving the operating theatres I have worked as a practise nurse with a GP. I currently work in public health providing vaccinations, and vision screenings for four-year-olds before they start school. I have been nursing for thirty-nine years. Yikes, that’s a long time!”

What is The Moria Health Point Project and where is it situated?

“A UK doctor called Hadia Aslam began the Health Point (now Health Point Foundation) in a refugee camp in Calais, France. It is known as ‘The Jungle.’”

Why is it known as 'The Jungle'?

“I don’t know, I guess people think it’s just wild. But really they’re just people trying to survive. The Health Point provides medical and dental care to refugees. Dr Aslam then saw the need for care on the Greek Island of Lesvos; where thousands of refugees are continuing to make the treacherous crossing over the Aegean Sea from Turkey. These people have nothing. Many have pre-existing medical conditions while others have medical conditions as a result of their journey. These people are literally escaping death.”

What triggered your decision to travel to Lesvos and volunteer at the camp?

“I initially felt compelled to volunteer four years ago when I saw what was happening to the Syrians in their own country. I eventually came across Health Point Project, which allowed me to volunteer as a nurse in a time frame that was suitable. Most organisations require a commitment of at least three months: not suitable when you have children and work commitments.”

How have people responded to your choice to volunteer?

“Most people’s responses have been very positive. I am  also aware that there will be people who won’t see it in a positive light. I am yet to meet the latter.”

What were the conditions like at the camp?

“The conditions in the camp were okay. There were tents for accommodation; the refugees’ food tent; the volunteers’ food tent; a clothing tent; and the medical tent. There was also a designated children’s tent and a sort of playground. Performers and clowns entertained the children. There were portable toilets, and no showering facilities. When I arrived, there was no hot water. However, this was overcome with the building of a compost heating system. A water pipe is run through a compost heap and the compost produces heat that warms the water. I hear they now have running water in the medical tent too. Sheer luxury! And when it rained there was mud everywhere.”

Did it rain often?

“It was winter, so some days. It got a bit wild though. Windy. The accommodation tents weren’t heated and there were families with young babies. At Christmas a baby died from hypothermia. There was also a solar run power station for charging mobile phones in the middle of the camp, so the refugees could contact their families.”

And how did your nursing skills come to play?

“I had no idea what to expect when I volunteered. My general basic nursing skills came into play. So, observations: temperature, pulse, blood pressure and urinalysis, and antenatal care of the pregnant women. I helped children and adults with severe frostbite, which is something I have never seen or experienced in my entire nursing career. We entertained the children, provided warmth, comfort and sustenance. And, above all, we provided these two very basic, yet vital, needs: water and rest.”

Who did you meet?

“Where do I start? The volunteers I met and worked with were amazing. I believe I have made friendships that will last a lifetime (albeit on the other side of the world). Volunteers included: translators, nurses, doctors, paramedics, student doctors, entertainers, university students, and travellers. People from all walks of life, from all over the world that, with no agenda, wanted to help. The decency and power of humanity was palpable. The refugees, oh my, what can I say without welling? I met gracious, humble, and traumatised men, women, children and babies. I have been kissed, blessed, and hugged by total strangers. People, like you and I, escaping torture, rape, bombings, and all of the atrocities associated with war. All they want is freedom. Freedom to live a life without fear.”

What was the most touching story that you heard?

“One day, we had a group of pregnant women come in: they wanted reassurance that their babies were all right. There was one particular, exhausted, young mother whose story affects me: this woman, her husband, her girlfriend and her husband were running for their lives; escaping ISIS and Assad’s army. At one point, they were hiding in a valley with Assad’s army on the one side and ISIS on the other. These two friends were about the same gestation in their pregnancies. Unfortunately, her friend lost her baby. When they arrived at the medical tent, this pregnant woman had lower abdominal pain and was fearful that she, too, might lose her baby. We checked the baby and we could hear a healthy foetal heartbeat. She was relieved, I think, but she was so exhausted it was hard to gauge her emotions. I asked her a question; one that you would probably ask any pregnant woman: ‘Do you have a name for your baby?’ Her reply, via the translator, was that she hadn’t been able to think about this because all she was trying to do was survive. We will never know or understand what these people have endured. I ended up talking to a beautiful paediatrician. Such a gentle man. Both he and I cried.”

How can we help?

“This is such a catastrophic man-made disaster. Where do you begin? You can volunteer: it doesn’t have to be medical; you can distribute clothes and food, and help terrified people out of the inflatable boats. You can drive the volunteers to and from camp, or the refugees to the hospital. You can source equipment to help refugees: for instance, a stroller for a family who have carried their handicapped child all the way from Syria. You can donate money; you can petition governments to stop the bombings in Syria; and you can support the countries where there is a huge influx of refugees: Greece, Lebanon, Jordan and Southern Italy. And pray. Pray for the EU to find a solution. Pray for all of the unaccompanied minors. Pray that the refugees can return home and rebuild their countries. Pray for acceptance and tolerance from people in other countries around the world. I really don’t know how to answer this question. I guess at the end of the day it is up to the individual and what they feel is right for them.”

For more information about the Health Point Foundation, you can visit their website.